Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Devin's Goodbye



Devin Hamilton died from cancer three years ago.


Yasmeen Carillo was Devin's best friend.















Dear Readers: 

Yasmeen Carillo, a writing student, opted to pen about her best friend, Devin, from her friend's point of view. To me, it was uplifting that Yasmeen still cared about a friend she lost three years ago and still thinks about often. This is part of Yasmeen's healing journey. --  Diana

About Devin

By Yasmeen Carrillo

Hello. My name is Devin. I died on Jan. 26, 2010. I passed away due to cancer. I had leukemia. I was only 9-years-old, almost 10.

I wish that I never had cancer.  I had two sisters and I always loved them. When I passed away, my life flashed before my eyes. It was just me, my sisters Jordan and Ryann, my friends and my Mom and Dad. I fought the cancer but my body didn't beat it. My body wasn't use to all the medication I had. 

I had a good life for a short time. One of my friends, Yasmeen was close to my family. We were best friends. We knew each other since we were babies. We were only two days apart. I was born first. She didn't really take it that hard. She was sad, but she couldn't cry. But she grieved. 

She always wonders what would happen if I didn't pass.  Her mom was close to my mom. They use to work together.When I passed, a Girl Scout troop made a tribute at my old school, Crestwood Street Elementary. 
 
My cousin, Kaya, took it the hardest. She was crying so hard the troop leader had to speak for her. Another friend spoke at the opening.  She kind of cried. She tried not to cry because she wouldn't be able to speak. My whole family was there, my mom, my dad, my sisters, grandma, etc. 

I miss so much of life. I missed my fourth grade camping trip. I missed everything.  I miss my mom, my dad, my sisters, my cousins, everyone.

I really miss my life. I wish cancer didn't exist.  Then I would still be alive.

No comments: