Monday, March 04, 2013

Little Dog Found


Her home was found.



Little Dog Found

Mystery Dog Finds Home Due to a Teacher's Keen Eyes

By Diana L. Chapman

I had her for seven days of love, affection, adoration and the only other female to grace our house crowded with males. It was a love bug festival from the moment we met after she wiggled up to me outside of Gulf Avenue Elementary School in Wilmington.

Rolling over on her back for pets, and too tiny for most cars to see, I knew I couldn't leave this teacup, tidbit of a dog on the streets or she'd be dead within hours from traffic alone. And that's where all the mystery began.

Clues abounded that someone loved this adorable girl and that she loved them back. She cried as we left Wilmington after I failed to see any lost dog signs. My vet and I agreed she was well groomed had no fleas--and had a microchip, unfortunately not registered.  It took a sleuthing Gulf Elementary School teacher to happily reunite her with her owners desperately searching for their dog that weighed less than 10 pounds and was smaller than most cats.

When this email arrived it was happy-sad moment for me:  "Your little doggie is named Khloey Sophia," 4th grade teacher Niels Goerrissen emailed me after searching for lost dog signs to help out. "Little black and silver Yorkie, 3-years-old. Belongs to Cynthia," adding her phone number. (I had enlisted the teachers help asking him to show a picture to students and teachers and look for lost dog signs.)

Niels was right. It was easy to figure out Cynthia was the correct owner. She read the correct microchip number and the minute I called wanted to leave work and come "right now." She was at my house in 15 minutes, bringing along Grandpa, who was inseparable from baby girl. Khloey jumped into his lap.

It wasn't just humans that hurt when they lost their dog, Cynthia explained. Khloey's Chihuahua companion had fallen into a depression since Khloey had vanished many days ago.

Now, the munchkin we had called Little Girl, Lulu, Adele, Pumpkin, Baby Girl and NoName for the days we had her --  and fell in love --  found her true family.

Cynthia believes the pure silver-haired Yorkshire Terrier escaped when a caregiver for Cynthia's grandmother left the gate open around 11:30. Shortly after, I was walking out of the school and saw her.

Immediately, I believed she was the same tiny dog I'd spotted on my way to Gulf earlier that morning way on the other side of town -- and past major intersections and boulevards. With no time left,  I convinced myself that that black tiny creature belonged to a man walking his dog on a leash blocks behind.

Now, I was convinced Khloey was that dog (they looked so much alike) but she would have had to traverse one mile of major boulevards ushering traffic to the port , which seemed virtually impossible.

I knew I couldn't  leave her to the mean streets of LA, but bringing her home to a husband, and 19-year-old son who clearly wanted no more animals (they told me repeatedly) was a risk to take that I didn't cherish. That didn't mention my two male canines, who run our house already in a whirlwind of furry fury.

My human guys were mad, of course -- until they came home and met her. Hearts melted and they agreed we could foster until we find her home or a new home.

I realize now that it was next to impossible that Khloey could have been the same dog I saw by the Anaheim exit of the 110 Freeway. For one, Cynthia said she lived just blocks from the school. For another, another woman had told her black Yorkie was missing too, she said.

Wrapping up our last minutes with Khloey, Cynthia told me why I didn't recognize her dog as the popular, and beloved breed, a Yorkie. She doesn't have  the traditional Yorkie look they are famous for because she's not cut that way.

"She doesn't like it," Cynthia said, hugging her again as we were walking out the door. She asked if she should give me money. Are you kidding?I had just had the best gift spending time with her little one who forged her way into my home with a sweet heart.

I'm also grateful, that Niels, the teacher whose class I visited that morning, took the time to become Sherlock Holmes and hunt for clues asking questions and finding the sign (our own hunt being unsuccessful).  He helped keep peace in my family and made a Wilmington family happy again.

    To that, he emailed, "I love a happy ending!"

No comments: