Thursday, May 17, 2012


Help 12-year-old Blake Marquez And Her Dad Raise Money for The Cancer Relay Walk May 19

She Lost Her sister, Paigey, at Age Four

Blake Marquez still collecting funds for the American Cancer Society after her sisters, Paigey's death.
Paigey Marquez died at age 4.
Dear Readers:

 I am sad to say that I had to cover Paigey Marquez's story. Her death was sorrowful to hundreds of residents.  I am pleased to report, however, that this triggered the family to build a foundation in Paigey's name for research in brain tumors and  continues to raise funds to aid  the American Cancer Society.

One other thing:  when San Pedro 16-year-old Christian Stehlik died from a cancer called neuroblastoma, his father asked me to fundraise to help cremate him and pay for the services. I did not know where to begin and there was limited time.

The Marquez family, using Paigey's foundation funds, stepped forward and paid for all of it "because that is what it's for," Tim told me. I'm gratefully indebted to this family.  Diana

By Tim Marquez

  This year my daughter Blake (12 years old) created a Cancer Relay 
Fundraising team for the American Cancer Society in memory of her little sister, Paigey, who died on July 30, 2005 at the age of 4.
    Paigey had a rare brain tumor that only afflicts toddler aged children and is so aggressive that the kids usually don't live more than one year past diagnosis; Paigey died 43 days after diagnosis. 
   We are less than one week away from the 24 hour Cancer Relay walk in San Pedro,Calif, benefiting the American Cancer Society and we need your help. We are trying to raise at least $2,500 for the relay and have about another $1,000 to go. You can help in the following ways:

     --Donate money on our ACS Team Website: Donation Page: Paigey's Rockstars  
  --Join our team of Relay Walkers by following the link Paigey's Rockstars
    and clicking on "Join Our Team", select "Team Member Registration (MyTeam Captain Pays)", and collect donations or volunteer to walk for 1 hour on Saturday, May 19th. 
   --Buy Jewelry at Captains Treasure Chest and 15% of your purchase will be donated to our team  Donation Page: Paigey's Rockstar

   This year, over 1.4 million Americans will hear the words "You have cancer. "
    I know too many people who are touched by cancer, and that is why I have joined the American Cancer Society on a mission to save lives and create a world with more birthdays by participating in the Relay for Life in my community.
   At Relay For Life we celebrate loved ones who have won their battle against cancer, remember those who are no longer with us, and fight back against this disease that touches so many. I am determined to make a difference, and I hope you will join me. I will be walking on May 19, 2012 in San Pedro, California.
  Please support me in my efforts by visiting my personal web page and making a donation. Every dollar raised brings us one dollar closer to a cure, and to a world
with more birthdays.
   Thank you so much for your support. Together, we are saving lives!
  Tim Marquez, Paigey's Dad 
    
Click here to view the TEAM page for Paigey's Rockstars


No comments: