Sunday, July 24, 2011

Katie Day, 8, working on her stories at the Corner Store during a Seven Golden Secrets to Writing Workshop.
Eight-Year-Old Writes With Great Details About Her Trip to Griffith Observatory; The Alliance League Summer Sale So Awesome, Think About Xmas Gifts!

Dear Readers:

One of my new students in the Seven Golden Secrets to Writing workshop earned my excitement when she packed a mini-story about her travels to Griffith Observatory with terrific detail! She’s only eight, so I was in my glory during class that she’s already getting into good writing now. While many students like Katie Day are still learning spelling and grammar, they are deft enough to learn all about structure and content now. You go Katie! Congratulations. – Diana

Griffith Observatory:
By Katie Day

I am Katie. Today, I went to Griffith Observatory! I saw planets, astronauts and I got to weigh myself on all the planets, even Pluto. I know it’s a star now, but it was a planet.

The Griffith Observatory is a big building and has a lot of stuff about space and it is near the Hollywood Sign. I love it. This was my second time I’ve been there and I learned that I am a terrestrial.

I learned about the guy who made the telescope curved and about the asteroid that fell from the sky and landed in Arizona, making a big, huge crater! I know that Earth is about 4.6 billion years old. I made a big earthquake with my friends. Mr. Gus, my  teacher, was over 100 pounds on Saturn.

We got to see something called Tesla’s coil and that was how Frankenstein was made (in the book.)

 I like the idea of having a museum on a big hill. Do you know my mom was a docent on the trip and I had to help her? She is not that bright when it comes to the Griffith Observatory.

-----------------------------------------

Looking for Some Good Deals? Then Stop Off at the Assistance League on Weymouth Corners and Check Out Their Summer Sale

Every time my mom drops in to visit from Napa, she wants to shop at the Assistance League – a non-profit store run by a group of women who raise thousands of dollars every year to provide dental care, uniforms and school supplies for impoverished children around Los Angeles County.

This time, my mom and I were lucky. When we landed at the league’s store, it just happened to be their summer sale which will continue to run until Aug. 24. Piled on tables were home goods at what seemed half the price in regular stores.

Stunning coasters, trivets, gift candles, wind chimes and flags, rugs were among some of the items available. The buys are wonderful.

So make plans to stop by the Assistance League of San Pedro-South Bay at 1441 W. Eighth Street, San Pedro. Hours are Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday, 11 a.m. to 3. For more information, call (310) 832-8355.

No comments: